Calling all educators interested in Social Studies, History, Geography, Government, and Economics who live in the NW. Plus Humanities, Librarians, Technology and Administrators. K-12 plus college level. Here’s a great reason to head to Portland and connect with other educators!
I’ve been involved with Portland’s successful edcampPDX and I’m pleased to be a co-chair of this social studies themed edcampOCSS sponsored by The Oregon Council for the Social Studies.
Join us in Portland Oregon on May 17, 2014.
(8:30 AM – 2:15 PM, then we’ll go somewhere for beers)
Valley Catholic Middle School,
4420 SW St. Mary’s Drive,
Beaverton, OR 97007 Map
We’ll begin with coffee in the middle school cafeteria. Look for signs to guide you.
The campus can be accessed from Murray Blvd or Farmington. There are signs on campus that indicate the buildings. The main parking lot is on the east side of the building.
This is a free event.
Sign up to attend here
Suggest sessions here
Door prizes from Simple K12 include 5 FREE 1-year, full access individual memberships to SimpleK12’s Teacher Learning Community (each valued at $357). Plus every attendee gets a free copy SimpleK12’s most popular premium eBook resources, “57 Inspirational Quotes.”
Door prizes from Herff Jones include a one year classroom license to StrataLogica and classroom sets of atlases.
Big thank you to ORVSD for sponsoring a free lunch for the first 75 who sign up.
Here’s some of sessions that have already been suggested. More
- Teaching with Documents (4-16)
- Literacy strategies in social studies (3-8)
- Getting to Know iBooks Author (all grades)
- Teaching US History from OR perspective (4-12)
- Discussion techniques for students (all grades)
- Teaching with Social Media (6-12)
- Intro to Project Based Learning in the k-5 classroom (K-5)
- Population Connections/Geography/Sustainability in a World of 7 Billion (6-12)
- Using Prior Historical Knowledge to progressively spiral the disciplinary literacy skills necessary to prepare students for college and/or career. (5-12)
- Using Google tools (Earth, Docs, Sheets, etc…) to study geography and explore history in different places. (6-212)
- Why’d She Do It? Hacking Motivation (K-12)
On the Twitters? Use hashtag #edcampOCSS. Follow @ocss14
On the Facebook Follow Oregon Council for the Social Studies | Follow event edcampOCSS
What are the goals of edcampOCSS?
- Networking: Connect educators in the Portland / Oregon / SW Washington area
- Instructional Practices: Learn new curriculum ideas, best practices, and/or tech integration ideas from other educators
- Personalized: You customize your own PD by suggesting, facilitating and attending sessions about topics that interest you!