I teach, write and consult. I'm interested in the intersection of critical thinking, teaching and new technologies. Most of my career in education was as a public high school history teacher. I have also served as a K-12 Director, and Assistant Superintendent for Instruction. Currently, I teach future teachers using a PBL approach at the University of Portland. My courses: Social Studies Methods and EdTech Methods.
- Close Reading Historical DocumentsHere's how I used Primary Source Icebreakers with Padlet to create an online activity in Close reading of historical documents […]
- Socratic Seminar for the Covid ClassroomHere's my PBL Socratic seminar model that decreases classroom density into small staggered in-school seminars and full size virtual classes. […]
- Teaching Historical Thinking SkillsHere's how I taught historical thinking skills online. Students used Google Forms to create an interactive exploration of an historical image. […]
- Curating Historical ContentThis "Image Detective" activity guides students in finding / curating historical sources and then improving their visual literacy skills. […]
- How to Teach OnlineThis spring, the COVID-19 pandemic hit and mid course I made the transition to online without missing a beat. Here's two elements that made the "live-to-online" transition possible. […]